Monday, June 28, 2010

Alzheimer's World -- Two Circles Trying to Intersect


It is hard to get there.
Alzheimer's World is difficult to understand and accept. Some caregivers get there, some don't.....
It takes lots of thought, hard work, and the development of a new mental construct of behavior to understand Alzheimer's disease. It takes time.

Take the relationship between my mother and me as an example.

I've known my mother my entire life. We have been communicating our entire lives. I would imagine that our communication is similar to most people. We engaged in all the human behaviors and emotions over the years. We established patterns on how to deal with the good and the bad.

Did I ever get angry with my mother -- of course. Frustrated, agitated -- of course. When we had a problem with each other we learned how to work it out. How to make up and reattach.

Over the course of 50 years we developed our own method of communication -- our own behavior.

Then Alzheimer's struck.
 blog it
Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room

No comments:

Post a Comment