Thursday, August 30, 2012

Future of Alzheimer's Battle Lies in Prevention


Bob DeMarco, 62, spent more than eight years taking care of his mother, who had Alzheimer's disease before she passed away at age 95 in May 2012.

During this eight-year period, his chief concern as a caregiver was for his mother. But sometimes, he says, he would think of his own risk in the future.

"I'm sure I was more worried at the beginning when my mom got diagnosed," says DeMarco, of Delray Beach, Fla., who is also the founder and editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room blog. "I would describe myself as concerned more than worried."

Still, DeMarco opted for the genetic testing to look for a gene known to significantly increase the risk of Alzheimer's. He tested negative for the gene.

Still, he says, "certainly my predisposition is higher than someone who doesn't have AD in their family.

"Sometimes when I forget something, the idea pops into my head."

Continue Reading -- Future of Alzheimer's Battle Lies in Prevention


No comments:

Post a Comment