Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Alzheimer’s Journal: Heartbreaking Visit to a Loved One With Dementia, There Is No Greater Sorrow


"There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in a time of misery.” Those words from Dante’s Inferno never rang as true as they did that day".

By Marie Marley 
 Alzheimer's Reading Room
Alzheimer’s Journal: Heartbreaking Visit to a Loved One With Dementia There Is No Greater Sorrow
Marie and Ed 
I almost never cry. Maybe once a year. If at all. 
One day I went to visit Ed, my beloved Romanian soul mate of 30 years, at the Alois Alzheimer’s Center. When I arrived I heard someone pounding away at the piano in the distance. 
I figured it must be sing-along time, so I went to the dining room, where sure enough, there was Jan, one of the activities staff members. She was at the piano, sleeves billowing as her arms flailed and fingers flew across the keys. 
She was playing a medley of well-known songs and singing with gusto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment