Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Discussing Alzheimer's on the des Champs-Élysées


Here I am walking along the des Champs-Élysées with my new friend Charlotte on a beautiful sunny day.

By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room

Discussing Alzheimer's on the des Champs-Élysées

Charlotte is finally getting some respite after caring for her mother who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's more than a year ago. Charlotte lives with Alzheimer's.

For my part, I would prefer to discuss the French women and the sites, but Charlotte needs to vent and she wants to learn more about how to deal effectively with a person that has Alzheimer's disease.

At first I listen. Charlotte is distraught because she just can't seem to reason with her mother. The harder she tries the worse things get. Why can't her mother understand that she just asked her what day it is? Maybe 10 times.

Her mother won't bathe, she doesn't want to go out of the house, and she says things that are so mean that it makes Charlotte cry. Charlotte tells me, it seems like I am only making things worse.

When Charlotte finally stops it is my turn to talk and ask questions.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment