Thursday, September 13, 2012

Are Alzheimers Patients Lovable, or Empty Shells of Themselves?


Would the Alzheimer's community be receiving greater support if persons living with Alzheimer's and related dementia were portrayed as lovable in their own way?

Are Alzheimer's Patients Lovable, or Empty Shells of Themselves?
In the comments section under the article The Best Alzheimer’s Facility: An Aide’s Shocking Behavior Convinced Me our reader Myra wrote:
"This is a great reading. It is so true. Those of us who work with memory care residents daily begin to love and care deeply for them. As a caregiver on the job and especially as a family member of a memory challenged loved one this is very comforting."
This started me thinking. I wonder what percentage of the general public views a person living with Alzheimer's or a related dementia as lovable?

I can say with great confidence that the audience here found my deeply forgetful mother, Dotty, lovable.
Nevertheless, I once had a person with a Ph. D. ask me, "has she tried to stab you with a scissors yet?"


No comments:

Post a Comment