Monday, July 9, 2012

Alzheimer's Clips News 108


A Guide to Safe Guarding Your Home

Preparing your home to care for a loved one with Alzheimer's Disease or any dementia related disorder is difficult.

For many people, their home represents their life accomplishments; this is especially true for individuals diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer's disease and their caregivers.

Most families want to keep their loved one at home for as long as possible so the person can be in familiar surroundings.

Therefore, it is important to create a safe environment for your loved one to live in while they can still remain at home.


Read More


Caring for the Caregiver, Persuasion, Persistence and Patience

He could have balked. He could have thrown up his hands and fled to places unknown. Instead, he put on his big boy pants and took each day as it came in the only way he knew how. And he did a marvelous job.


I am not sure I could have done what my father did.

Like most caregivers, he devoted the last few years of his life to care for my mother, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's on her 70th birthday. We lost her in December 2011, eight years after the diagnosis.

During that span of time, I watched my father assume the many tasks - cooking, cleaning, even changing the beds! -- that my mother had covered throughout the first 50-plus years of their marriage.

I watched my father grow more patient and I watched him attempt to cope with the ever-changing demands that Alzheimer's disease had interjected into their lives.   


Ten Tips for Communicating with an Alzheimer's Patient

No comments:

Post a Comment