Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Alzheimer's, Anxiety, Fear, and Anger



You can turn burden into Joy. I know you can because I did it. Don't go thinking I am different. I am not. I am an Alzheimer's caregiver just like you.

Alzheimer's, Anxiety, Fear, and Anger
Recently, I am talking  to gerontologists around the world that work with Alzheimer's patients and caregivers. One word keeps popping up - anger. Alzheimer's caregivers are often angry.

I understand what anger in the Alzheimer's paradigm feels like. I took care of my mother, Dotty, from November 17, 2003 up until when she went to Heaven on May 25, 2012. Eight and a half years. 

I might add here that seven to eight years is a typical tour of duty for an Alzheimer's dementia caregiver.

Via the Alzheimer's Reading Room I have met thousands of Alzheimer's caregivers that are angry, anxious, and filled with fear. Sadly, all of these negative emotions come with the territory.

In the Alzheimer's caregiver paradigm there are two distinct parts: the person living with dementia, and the person living with the person that is living with dementia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment